I love this warm weather. We’ve been working in the garden, spring cleaning with the windows open and getting everything set up for spring here at the new house. This includes getting out the patio sets and bringing the grill out of hibernation.
Spring is my ideal time to be outside – it’s warm, breezy and just the right temperature. With our new house and patio, I am itching to get out there and have dinner parties and spend some time with the grill.
These Southwest Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos came to our tastebuds with our new love of “Taco Tuesday.” My husband and I had a joke going that we would eat dinner with daily themes, like Taco Tuesday. The taco theme is really the only one that stuck. I got tired of eating the same old beef and cheese tacos so we’ve been trying out a few combinations and we really fell in love with this one.
It reminds me of warm weather and it’s perfect for get togethers. Last week, we had a few people over for dinner. We grilled the chicken and had all of the fixings set out. Then everyone just made their tacos however they wanted. We used tortillas to make soft tacos, but you could also use regular taco shells.
Southwest Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos
|What you need:|
|8 flour tortillas|
|1 cup brown rice|
|2 1/2 cups water|
|1 can enchilada sauce|
|2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1 can corn|
|1 can black beans|
|1 can diced tomatoes|
|1 bottls taco sauce|
|McCormick Montreal Chicken Grill Mates|
What to do:
To make the rice:
1. Bring 2.5 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice.
2. Reduce heat and cook halfway covered for about 35 minutes or until the rice is soft and the water is absorbed.
3. After about 20 minutes of cooking, add in about 5-6 tablespoons of enchilada sauce to the rice and stir.
For the chicken:
1. Season the chicken with the McCormick Montreal Chicken Grill Mates Seasoning (I used a very small amount on both sides).
2. Place them on a pre-heated grill and cook for about 10 minutes, flip and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until chicken is done.
3. Remove cooked chicken from grill and slice into strips.
To make the tacos:
1. Remove the tortillas from the package and place them onto a paper towel lined plate. Microwave them for 10 seconds. (This will make them easier to work with.)
2. Place 1 tortilla on a plate, add 1-2 spoonfuls of rice.
3. Add 2 pieces of sliced chicken to the center of the tortilla on top of the rice.
4. Add one spoonful of corn.
5. Add a spoonful of black beans.
6. Add a drizzle of taco sauce, some diced tomatoes and cheese.
7. Fold up like a taco, serve with enchilada rice.