Homemade gifts come from the heart, but the holidays are busy and expensive enough without spending hours trying to make something from scratch for those you love. Here’s a delicious (dare I say addicting?) recipe you can make in minutes that uses inexpensive ingredients found at Family Dollar—and it has a secret ingredient no one will guess.
Family Dollar even has a special promotion right now where you can download coupons for Hershey’s chocolate chips here, making this recipe even more affordable.
Trust me, the result is so good it’s hard to stop eating these salty and sweet toffee-rich treats. Everyone from your neighbor to postman and teachers to coworkers will appreciate your delicious homemade goodies!
Saltine Chocolate Toffee Bark
|1 sleeve Saltine crackers|
|1 cup packed brown sugar|
|2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips|
|¾ cup finely chopped nuts|
|or Heath toffee bits for topping|
|1 cup butter|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a non-stick cookie sheet (or jelly roll sized sheet), lay out the Saltine crackers in a single layer.
3. Combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, do not stir! Boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over crackers and spread until they are completely covered.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-7 minutes. Take out of oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Give them 5 minutes to melt, and spread the chocolate over the top. If at first it looks like there won’t be enough chocolate, don’t worry—once melted it should cover the crackers completely. Sprinkle Heath toffee chips or finely chopped nuts (toasted pecans or walnuts are especially good) over the top.
5. Cool for about an hour or until hardened, and break into pieces.
6. If you wish to give it as a gift, use one of the pretty tins available at Family Dollar. Cut two circles from wax paper and place one at the bottom of the tin. Fill with the toffee bark, and place another wax paper circle on top. Top with the cover, tie a pretty bow, and you have one lucky gift recipient!