Things get hectic around the holidays, which means family-time can be scarce when we actually should be spending more time with those we love. Combining holiday preparations with fun activities means getting the best of both worlds. Here’s an easy and inexpensive ornament recipe using ingredients from your local Family Dollar store that your whole family will love to make!
These pretty ornaments don’t have to stay on the tree, either. Use them as gift tags, hang them on a wreath, or place them in bowls around the house. The kids will love getting their hands messy, and since its cinnamon everyone will be in the holiday mood as the seasonal scent fills the house. Plus, you’ll have some beautiful ornaments for your tree and that’s one more thing you can check off that super long holiday to-do list.
It should be noted that while these are made with common kitchen ingredients, they are non-edible.
|2 cups cinnamon|
|(only $1 a bottle at Family Dollar!)|
|2 cups applesauce|
|Straw for making holes in ornaments|
1. Combine equal parts cinnamon and applesauce in a bowl. Mix until you can form a ball.
2. On a flat surface covered in wax paper, flatten the ball. Cover with another piece of wax paper, and roll flat with a rolling pin.
3. Remove top layer of wax paper. Using cookie cutters, cut dough into seasonal shapes.
4. Use a straw to poke a hole in the top (for your ribbon after it dries).
5. Place on flat surface (like a cookie sheet or cutting board) to dry for 3-4 days.
6. Once dry, thread ribbon through the hole and tie. Enjoy your wonderful smelling ornaments!
Family-time and holidays – they go together like cinnamon and applesauce!