One of my go-to dinners is tacos! I love it because they are pretty easy to make and the family feels like they are having a feast. Sometimes I can even make them out of leftovers and I usually serve them buffet style so they can all choose what to include in their own taco or how much to include of each topping. Of course, the kids don’t get to choose too much because we help them, but they have fun adding the toppings like cheese and avocado.
If you don’t like turkey this recipe can work with ground beef as well, and even though it has lots of ingredients the best part is that it won’t break the bank! You’ll see, everybody will love it and you won’t have to spend 2 hours in the kitchen with family meal planning and making it!
Southwest Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos
|What you need:|
|1.5 lbs of ground turkey meat|
|1 oz envelope Taco mix seasoning|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 small onion thinly chopped|
|1 8oz can of tomato sauce|
|1 15oz can of refried beans|
|1 package of 10 flour tortillas (or corn)|
|1 Mexican style shredded cheese package|
|1 8oz whole kernel corn|
|2 cups chopped lettuce|
|1 Mexican sauce jar (optional)|
|1 8oz Instant Mexican rice (optional)|
What to do:
1. Place the olive oil in a large pan and turn on to medium heat. Once it is hot, add the chopped onions and about half of the taco seasoning mix. Then cook until transparent while mixing all the time.
2. Add the ground turkey and separate it with a wooden spoon until it browns.
3. Add half of the taco seasoning that is left (you’ll leave some of the mix unused) and the tomato sauce. Mix it all together.
4. Let it simmer on low heat until some liquid is absorbed. Put a top on it and let it cook a little more, for about 10 minutes total.
5. Take the beans out of the can and heat them. Make the rice. Take the corn out of the can and place it in a bowl.
6. Place the turkey, beans, rice, cheese and lettuce in separate bowls and take them to the table. Slice the avocado and place it on the table, too
7. Heat the tortillas (both sides) in a hot pan for about 1 minute each side and take them to the table.
8. Let everybody make their own tacos and enjoy!
• The corn and rice can be omitted. If there is another ingredient available in your kitchen feel free to add it – these tacos can work with what you’ve got!
• If you don’t have lettuce use any green you have available, I used spinach in mine!
• Heat the tortillas long enough to be very warm, but be careful not to toast them. Otherwise they will be become hard to manipulate when rolling your taco.